Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Storms, class, job, and gadgets

Wow, lots to report tonight.

Sunday the Northeast was hit with a big snow and ice storm. Susan and I were happily ensconced here at home with the dogs. We recorded the raw footage of the interview that I'll need for my editing class. I interviewed Susan about the rock creatures her kids at school make. The samples she brought home were great! Some of them were really cute.

Unfortunately, on Monday afternoon, it took me an hour and a half to get my car dug out and unstuck. I finally had to put some "Ice Melt" under the wheels. I was able to meet a friend for dinner but I couldn't return the field camera to the TV station until today. They were really nice about it, though.

Today, I called the temp agency and they had a job for me. It was good timing, really. I called their main office looking for Tami, the woman who had done my intake. I was going to tell her that I really needed to make some money and see if they had a job available this week. Laurie, the woman I had worked with when I was at the Symphony, answered the phone and told me that Tami was in their satellite office. As I was about to hang-up the phone to call Tami, Laurie asked if I was available to work. I will be working as a switchboard operator at a local wallet making company. I will be there for training on Friday morning and then be answering their phones next Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. It will be good to get that money coming in.

At our final basic production class tonight we took a written test about television production. I think I did really well. I also got to watch the raw footage of my interview project. The editing class will be two weeks in January. In the meantime I'll be a camera operator on Thursday night at a city council meeting and then again at the mayor's inauguration and two city council meetings in January.

One last thing, I finally own a (fake) leatherman! For $5 I bought a generic, 15 in 1, multi-tool. It's compact and has two kinds of pliers, a saw, wire cutter, and lots of screwdrivers. It also came packaged with a 12 in 1 pocket knife and a combination flashlight and carrabiner.

No comments: