Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Capitol Steps are hilarious!

Friday was a good day. I got things done, played with the dogs and birds, and got to see the Capitol Steps perform.

For those of you who don't know, the Capitol Steps are a political musical comedy troup made up of former congressional staffers. They take pride in saying that "when breaking political news happens you can go to our website...and find out what rhymes with it". I've been a fan of theirs since I was in middle school and have seen them live on tour about ten times. Last night's show was mostly material I hadn't heard before which was really nice. My favorite piece was Ruth Bader Ginsberg asking Sandra Day O'Connor to rejoin the court because Ruth was tired of being the only woman there. Another song I love, even though I've heard it several times before, is "Lord Bless My SUV". It's about mass consumption and sung to the tune of Lee Greenwood's "Bless the USA". The guy who I've seen sing it three times has an incredible set of lungs and holds one note for about 30 seconds while the audience just cracks up.

No comments: