Friday, May 2, 2008

The Saga Of My Car

I thought you all might get a kick out of these emails that went back and forth between me and a woman who works at the dealership where I get my car serviced. She and I have known each other for several years and I brighten her day when I come in, because I make her laugh, especially when she’s having a bad day. As you will see, she also has a wicked sense of humor.

APRIL 16 (The day after my car’s wheel bearing and knuckle were replaced to the tune of $500):

Hi Kim,

Okay, so, now my car is clicking. (Pick your head up out of your hands, I still can't buy a new car yet) :) Anyway, it's intermittent and it sounds like it's coming from behind the left side of the dashboard. It sounds like a turn signal but I think those are fine. The alarm system light seems to flicker in sync with the clicking so I'm thinking it's something to do with that. Can I just disconnect the alarm system? :) (Quit laughing!) :)

Alicia


Alicia,
You know me too well...lol
O.K. I think you can disconnect the alarm. If it is aftermarket (and I think it is). If we do it you're looking at about $95.00.
Let me know.

Kim


I'm glad my email made you laugh. I was hoping that would be your reaction. :) I'm going to see if I can do it myself. I feel really proud whenever I can fix something on my car on my own! If I have trouble, or if the noise doesn't stop, I'll let you know. Just out of curiosity, a friend of mine (the same one who gave me a lecture for not having my wheel bearing fixed earlier) freaked me out by saying that if I'm hearing clicking, then something is sparking, which could cause a fire while I'm driving. Is this true?!?! (picture me freaking out) :) (And, no, it's not better if my car catches on fire, putting itself out of its misery) :) ---Alicia

O.K.... Is it a ticking or crackling? There is a difference!!! If it is crackling - NOT GOOD!!!! Yes you can have an electrical fire while driving if that is the case. Please, please be careful!!!!-K

DON'T WORRY!!!! :) I'm pretty sure it's a clicking, but maybe you should watch the local news tonight, just in case. :) ---Alicia

Don't worry...Yeah right!
What channel should I be watching? Or should I just keep looking north for the black smoke? ;)


The ticking noise was gone when I drove home and didn’t come back in the morning. I didn’t want to pester Kim so I didn’t send a response to her email. BIG MISTAKE! :)

Apr 17, 2008 9:13 PM

Well,
I checked my mail all day, you never wrote back. Is every thing O.K. ? I didn't see any thing on the news... and still no e-mails to tell me you're O.K.- YES I do Worry!

If I don't hear back from you, your other friend may not be the only one yelling at you :)

Please let me know
--
Kimberly


Okay, okay! I was too busy chuckling at your posts to write back! Seriously, the sound didn't come back and I got home fine. It was still gone today. I will keep an eye on it while I study up on how to disconnect the alarm. Maybe my car just doesn't want to work anymore when it's cold. Do you guys sell car sweaters? :) Thanks for checking up on me.

---Alicia


Thank you. No we don't have sweaters but maybe I could learn to knit...lol.
At least I feel better knowing you're not on fire or any thing.

Let me know if anything else happens.
K


Thank you! I feel better too, not being on fire. :) I'll keep you posted. Heck, I could start a new blog just for my car stuff! ---Alicia

No comments: