Monday, February 11, 2008

Boy am I tired! (But I had a good day)

I spent most of today driving around the area putting about 180 miles on Steve's car. I took Steve to a Dr.'s appointment and then into the office so he could fax the Dr.'s note to his worker's comp. insurance company. After I took him home I went to my dentist's office for a routine cleaning (my teeth got excellent reviews, btw) and then came home for a quick dinner before heading to operate a camera on the local, live, music show.

At tonight's shoot I learned a lot. (remember, this is only my second time working with a dollied {on wheels} camera) I learned some really helpful tips to truck (move the whole camera & tripod assembly, usually to the left or right, as opposed to just turning the camera itself) better: Move the dolly in a circle first to get the wheels all turned in the direction you want to move and take small steps sideways, with your knees bent, as you move. This should provide a smooth motion. I got lots of other good feedback and advice as well. I tend to go too slow with my shots as opposed to too fast and I really like to get a lot of feedback from the director via my headset. I'm sure this will improve as I progress. The folks on the show are really good about answering questions and demonstrating technique.

As I may have mentioned in a previous post, there don't seem to be many women involved with this show right now (and I think a lot of production jobs in general are held by men). The singer/songwriter/keyboard player, who was the sole performer (she was really good) on the show tonight, is female so at least I wasn't the only woman in the room this time. It's cool though, I actually feel like I'm doing something important for women while I'm doing something I love. One of the guys made a joke about the fact that there weren't any other women present but he also said that that hadn't always been the case.

Oh, and I have a temp job doing filing Wednesday through Friday and possibly Monday and Tuesday. I still haven't figured out what to do about my car and I know I can't borrow Steve's forever.

No comments: