Saturday, December 20, 2008

I am no longer an opera virgin!

I saw the live simulcast of the Metropolitan Opera's production of "Thais" in HD at a local movie theatre today, despite the snow. I really enjoyed it. The music was beautiful and the singers were fantastic. I didn't quite have a "Pretty Woman" moment, but I was moved several times. The violin solo meditation between the set changes in act two was particularly poignant. The only thing I didn't care for was the mix of traditional and modern in the costumes and props. The entire first scene (and the story itself) are set in Egypt in early AD but all of a sudden, at the beginning of scene two, a shotgun appears in a servant's hands. I found that kind of jarring. Also, the last act seemed a bit short. I do, however, want to see another one and Jane and I will probably do that in late January or February. Big thanks to Jane for getting me to do this and for buying my ticket!

In other news, I spoke to Arthur, Julia, and a bunch of other Guardians of Gallifrey today when I called down to their annual Christmas party. It was nice to catch up with them and talk a little "Dr. Who".

No comments: