Thursday, October 4, 2007

Oops. I didn't realize I hadn't posted since Friday.

Sorry about that. I was exhausted from dealing with my car (did I mention it passed inspection? Yeah!) and then I got a little busy. Here's the recap:

Saturday: Got up when my friend called me around 9:30am to let me know she was ready for me to come help her move. I had told her I could move light stuff and maybe help pack/unpack boxes. I showed up just as they were done unloading but ended up helping her finish cleaning her old place. Then I went home and did my best couch potato impression for the rest of the day since I hadn't gotten much sleep the previous two nights.

Sunday: I finished my networking letter and showed it to Susan, who loved it, and emailed it to the MHC career counselor who's been helping me. Steve and I had a sushi dinner at a great restaurant followed by cannolli and fruit tart at a local patisserie. I even had (decaf) espresso for the only the first or second time in my life.

Monday: Grocery shopping! I had fun at Trader Joe's and was able to come home and make a yummy black pepper topped tuna in chardonnay. ***Recipe: I dumped about half a bottle of Chardonnay into a pan and heated it almost to a boil. Meanwhile, I took the frozen, wild, ahi tuna steaks and put them in a bowl of cool water to thaw. When they were ready, I placed them in the wine and let them cook, covered, for a few minutes on medium heat. I uncovered them and sprinkled on a generous amount of black pepper. I recovered them and cooked them, covered, on low to medium heat for about 20-25 minutes.*** After the tuna was done, and had been removed from the pan, I realized I didn't want to waste the tuna and black pepper infused wine. I decided to use the concoction to flavor some rice but I ended up creating a kind of shrip risotto. ***Recipe: I took some frozen, basmati rice and dumped it into the wine and let it cook for two minutes. Then I added some large, tail on, pre-cooked but now frozen shrimp. After the rice had soaked up all of the liquid, and the shrimp was about halfway heated, I poured in some 1% milk. After about 10-12 minutes total cooking time the dish was done. As a final touch, I added some freshly chopped scallions to the cooling mixture.*** It was fabulous! Next time, I'd probably add some butter and parmesan cheese and change the milk to heavy cream to make it more of a true risotto. Oh, I also baked another batch of those great Trader Joe's chocolate chip cookies. Susan is really enjoying the smells, and tastes, of my cooking and I'm having a lot of fun!

Tuesday: Not much except that I discovered that my leftover tuna makes a great sandwich when put on a soybuttered whole wheat bagel and microwaved for 2 minutes.

Wednesday: Dentist appointment. Cleaning went well but I have two minor cavities that need to be filled. Oh, well. I met with some friends, ran some errands, and came home and cooked. I made shrimp fried rice for the first time and it turned out really well. I used Susan's wok so it's officially Chinese. ***"Recipe: I heated up some peanut oil in the wok and dumped in some freshly chopped organic scallions. They burnt to a crisp really quickly so I turned down the heat and added my frozen shrimp. Once those were well on their way to being heated I dumped in the frozen basmati rice. Once that was well mixed I threw in some leftover, now cooked and cooled, organic frozen peas and corn. I gradually added in a stir fry sauce to taste as I stirred. Finally, I threw in more chopped scallions.*** The rice itself was a bit mushy but it tasted really good and the house smelled fabulous.

No comments: