Thursday, January 17, 2008

Busy shoot tonight.

Tonight I was part of the crew filming another local city council meeting. We had a bit of an adventure this time because about 45 minutes into the shoot a piece of equipment died and knocked us off the air. Thankfully, we were able to continue taping the meeting and it will be re-broadcast in its' entirety at a later date. I was also able to try out some new crew positions during this shoot. I started out as the audio engineer, making sure that none of the voices were too loud or soft. It was a bit difficult when several people were talking at once or they were switching from one person to another very quickly. After the equipment died the director handed me his headset so that I could fill in for him while he tried to fix the problem. I stayed low key and didn't get too fancy but it felt okay. It was kind of neat to call the shots and work with the camera people to find interesting views while one person spoke for awhile. I tried to build on what I learned at the school committee meeting shoot last week. After that, I manned a camera for about an hour and then returned to the booth for a snack and more sound work. Unfortunately, our mics were also acting a bit wonky so I was kept on my toes near the end.

Tomorrow I'm going to the studio to edit my interview for my class and, hopefully, I'll begin working with the local music show next Monday night. The director I worked with tonight is going to try to set that up for me next week. In addition, he said he'll let me know when our next big shoot is so that I can arrive early and help with the set up. That way I can learn all the technical stuff too. I'm excited. Oh, and I might be a one man band, so to speak, on Monday to film a local Martin Luther King day activity.

No comments: